Tuesday, November 17, 2009

86 Bloomberg Place

I recently read Melody Carlson's fourth and final book in the 86 Bloomberg Place series, Three Weddings and a Bar Mitzvah. I read the first one and loved it, had no clue there was any more. I will have to go back and find books 2 and 3 to read.

This book does continue to story, but obviously you don't have to read them in order to understand what is going on. So if you haven't read the first 3, you can still pick up Three Weddings or why not just pick up all four and have an 86 Bloomberg Place weekend?

Four roommates are trying to plan a wedding for one of them. The month (June) has been chosen but finding a weekend that works for all of them is proving to be trickier than they thought.

Add to the mix a soon-to-be-mother-in-law with definite ideas of how things should be, parents of the bride being not quite nice and plan on boycotting the wedding.

That just covers one of the girls. But you know when you get four of them together there's bound to be some drama. You're going to have to read the book to find out what else happens.

I did enjoy the book. Not quite as much as I loved the first one but it was still good. The main thing I did not like about the book, one of the girls is pregnant and not married. I know that happens, I know that. But I don't like to read about it. Generally I read to escape and I don't want to read about what I deal with in real life.

I do not want nor do I expect all books to be so sicky-sweet and everyone is perfect, but I would have liked to see this issue addressed a little more in the book. God seemed a bit like an after thought, I would have liked to see...I'm not sure exactly. I don't want a non-believer to pick this book up and not see God. Or for a Christian young person to pick up the book and think there is nothing wrong with being pregnant out of wedlock and there are no consequences. Maybe if I had read the two books in the middle I would feel differently. Maybe it was addressed in those books.

Guess we're all going to have just go get the books and read them. Not a bad idea.

I give this book 3 page-turning thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. I need to finish the series myself. You bring up interesting points. I don't mind reading about out-of-wedlock pregnacies as long as the resolution is realistic and lines up with the Word.

    ReplyDelete