Monday, May 10, 2010

Life is either a great adventure....

or nothing. 
~Helen Keller
I found that to be incredibly true yesterday. One of my very most favorite things to do is drive. I love, dearly dearly love a good road trip. I love to take back roads and just see where you end up. I love traveling great distances all on back roads, stopping at small towns that dot the highway. I love diner food. I tell you some of the best food in America can be found in small town diners.  You can keep your interstates with speeds of 75mph. You might get there faster but I'll have more fun. 

Yesterday knowing this and my great unending curiosity for the "road less traveled" (I wonder where that road goes?) my dear man loaded all of us up in the van for a "short drive in the country." I really think he meant it to be a short drive and have us all home in time for supper. What a silly, silly man.

Now since I have lived in this area for a very long time the act of finding a road I've not been on is getting decidedly harder.  But we were happy to rise to the challenge and off we went. Armed only with one cell phone and my 2 pounds of water. 

At a stop sign we realized we knew the road north, south and well we had just come from the west so we went straight head. East. We went east all the way until the pavement ended. Then it was north. 

That turn north signified something momentous. It was huge. It was the end of civilization as we know it. For the next 60ish miles we saw one car. One.  We were blessed though to see a cell phone tower in the middle of nowhere. I guess if the cows got lost they could phone home. We were truly in ranch country. No doubt about it. 

My dear man is not in the least bit directionally challenged. He knows his directions very well but he was heard to say, "I want to turn north so I can go west." I still haven't quite figured out how that would work exactly.  It seemed the road swerved north and east. There were very few side roads one could turn off and get going a different direction. The county roads went north for a bit and then turned east, then north, then east. 

All told we traveled on back county roads to a town about sixty miles away and it only took us 3 hours to get there. Where we immediately thought to stop and get some fuel for the van, fuel for us before hitting the highway home.  It was good!


No comments:

Post a Comment