Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Money Talks..

But it don't sing and dance and it don't walk. As long as I can have you here with me, I'd much rather be forever in Blue Jeans, babe." ("Forever in Blue Jeans, by Neil Diamond)

Money doesn't grow on trees.

When I was a child money in my pocket was a precious commodity in my pocket. And it burned a hole right through it too. I was always out of money and generally looking for ways to make money. I would ride my bike around town looking for lost change. I would pretend to be Nancy Drew hoping someone would hire me to solve a mystery for them. No one ever called me.

I tried being Lucy Van Pelt. I wanted neighborhood kids to come to me for help with a problem and I would yell, "YOU STUPID BLOCKHEAD" and smile when they paid me a nickel.

My first job was at our local library. I was 9 and proud. My first day on the job the librarian asked me if I knew how to reshelve books. Did I know how? I had reshelved books for years at that point. Every time I took a book off the book shelf at home I had to put it back.  So of course I said yes.

I had no clue. But I shelved books anyway. And the next day I got to shelve them again...in the right spot. Because apparently the librarian was not happy with my creative shelving. I thought I was a creative genius.

I was fired from that job after a few months. Detention at school was cramping my ability to show up for work.

I learned two valuable lessons from my short tenure at the public library.
  1. Bosses generally expect you to obey them. They don't care much for your creative genius. They are not amused.
  2. Bosses generally expect you to show up for work. If you don't show up, they think you don't like them and you will find yourself with a lot of free time. 
So at the ripe old age of 9, I had been hired and fired already. I knew it was time to strike out on my own. If only Donna Partow had written her latest book, Making Money From Home so I could have read it and saved myself some grief.


But she wrote it now and I found it very informative. Donna has tons of tips and tricks to making money with your home based business. She talks you through setting up your home office, your business plan, as well as some pillars for long-term success. She has one chapter on finding the home based business that is right for you. Not your neighbor, not your spouse, but you. There is nothing half so frustrating as finding and working at the perfect job.....


for someone else.


I don't know about you but I've read some other "work from home" books and found them sadly lacking.  They give you a lot of ideas, if you're independently wealthy or have a degree or 50. Donna's book, Making Money From Home, is different. This book fired me up. I can't wait to put some of her tips and ideas into practice. 


You can learn more about her book by clicking on the following links:
Donna Partow
Making Money


I checked amazon.com and you can order this book (and I hope you do!) for only $9.88. At that price you can't really afford not to buy the book. If you click the above Making Money link you can order it too.

1 comment: