Sunday, July 18, 2010

My name

I just had the famous line, from the famous movie, The Princess Bride, run through my head, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die". But that's not what this post is about. At. All.

When I was a teenager, in the dark ages, there was a radio program that would come on late at night called Nightsounds with Bill Pearce. I loved it. Granted Bill Pearce had a rather scary sounding voice but that just made his night time show better. You need a certain type of voice to be any good in a radio studio and especially if you want to work in the late night hours.

When I was about 16 or 17, I had gone into my room and turned on the lamp beside my bed before I realized I had forgotten something. I left my room, retrieved the forgotten item and entered my bedroom again. I was stopped cold just inside the door when I heard a spooky voice saying, "Good evening, we've been waiting for you."

Talk about being scared to death. From my door most of my bedroom was not visible, especially my bed which is where the voice was coming from. After a few heart stopping moments, it dawned on me it was Bill Pearce's voice and the start of Nightsounds.  Never was I more relieved to hear his voice.

Around this same time, the local Christian radio station had their annual Sharathon and brought Bill Pearce to town. I was so excited I went to the radio station when he was supposed to be there just so I could meet him.

Yes, I was that nerdy.

I told him I wasn't sure I would be able to make his concert/program that night but "I love your program." And yes, I told him the spooky story above. Who wouldn't. If I recall we had a good laugh over it.

I did make the concert and at some point in the evening he saw me (not while he was on stage of course), I was so impressed first of all that he even recognized me but because he remembered my name.

There is something about having your name remembered and spoken that just does a body good.

I'm reading a book by Beth Redman, wife of singer/songwriter Matt Redman, entitled God Knows My Name, Never Forgotten, Forever Loved.  She starts the book by telling us of a horrible time in her life when someone who was supposed to love her forever, said he didn't.  I think that is something every single person alive on planet earth can relate to. We've all been hurt by someone who was supposed to love us forever and didn't.

It was a big deal to my teen-aged self when Bill Pearce remembered my name, but it's even a bigger deal when the God who created the universe, holds all of life together in the palm of His hand, knows my name.

This quote from the book (on page 27) struck me, "The enemy would have you live a nameless existence--feeling anonymous, illegitimate, unknown, unimportant, inglorious, and unfit to be named....In direct contrast, God says that He has a name for us. Where we feel worthless and insignificant He bestows worth and significance upon us when He calls us by name and chooses us for His glory."

And this one from page 29, "I know ultimately I am defined not by what others think of me when they hear my name, or what my earthly father said about me. Instead, the authority and compassion of the God who called my name defines me. He loves, He shapes, He convicts, and He lavishes  us with affirmation. 
It's time we heard His voice the loudest."

This is definitely not a quick read. But a necessary read for all who have been deeply hurt by someone who "forgot" our name.  He will never forget and it's time we heard His voice the loudest.

I'm adding a youtube video of the song by Casting Crowns, "Voice of Truth" but I think it applies so well. Enjoy!!



2 comments:

  1. How did I not know you had a blog?? Guess I wasn't paying attention! Anyway, thanks for this. I used to LOVE listing to Night Sounds with Bill Pearce! I, too, saw him in concert and, part way through, they lowered the lights and he did his "Night Sounds" routine - I was mesmerized by his voice! So, thanks for sharing this memory - and for the reminder that God calls us by name - what a precious truth!
    Lynda in MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder, CCL (I can call you that, can't I? LOL). It still amazes me that He knows my name - and everything about me - and still loves me enough to die for me.

    ReplyDelete