Monday, December 7, 2009

Dismayed?

A few years ago on my blog I went through my favorite Christmas carols. I think this year I'll do it again.

I have never been a fan of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Probably because it wasn't sung in our church that I remember. I remember just reading it in the hymnal and thinking it was a very weird song.

I was just listening to Peter Eide's version and it hit me with its simple beauty. It is so appropriate for today. In our world there is upheaval and uncertainty every where you look. The economy has faltered and faltered again, in fact it has faltered so much most of us aren't sure it will ever recover.

The husband of a friend of mine lost his job the week before Thanksgiving. He was given a nice severance check. And that bounced. They have $500 to their name, rent is $400, plus utilities, not much is left for food and Christmas. This song is for them! It is for you! It is for me!

God rest yet merry gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas day
To save us all from satan's power
When we were gone astray.
Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy
Oh tidings of comfort and joy!

From God our heavenly father the blessed angel came
And unto certain shepherds brought tidings of the same
How that in Bethlehem was born the Son of God by name
Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy
Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy

To free all those who trust in Him
From satan's power and might

God rest ye merry gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day
To save us all from satan's power
When we were gone astray
Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy
Oh tidings of comfort and joy

It isn't Peter Eide, but Jars of Clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment