Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Key thing....

We traveled to be with family over Thanksgiving. Five glorious days of no responsibilities, no place we had to be, nothing we had to do, nothing, nothing, nothing. I was ready to come home though, I watched my sister in law get our her Christmas decorations and I was anxious to do the same. I was thrilled because I was staring down a week with nothing in it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the bliss.

Until, of course I got home and checked my email. And remembered we had no food in the house. In my email I found I had a noon meeting. Our contractor called and said his crew was coming over to work on our siding. I didn't think it would be a problem. I could go to the store, get something for lunch, take the girlies to Daddy's office, attend my meeting and go to the store for groceries. Only the construction crew blocked my garage door, with my van inside the garage. So we walked to get lunch and then to Daddy's office. I walked to my meeting and then we all walked home...to Old Mother Hubbard's cupboards. Around 4pm the crew had left...and my van is still trapped in the garage.

I phone dear man telling him I'm still trapped and we need food. Our pastor loans us his pickup so we can go to the store. When Dear man got home I was wrestling with curtains and losing. I left him to curtain wrestle while I went to the store.

I quickly walked the aisles getting things I needed and headed for the check stands. I placed my basket on the conveyor belt and opened my purse just as the checker started ringing up the groceries.

I had no wallet. No money. When I told the checker, "For the 2nd time in 5 days, I'm at the store with no money. Please continue and I'll be right back." She looks at me really strange, so I say, "Boy do you think I'm a bit stressed or busy?" Her brilliant reply? "Yeah, or old." I think she was 10.

I rushed out of the store with key in hand. I unlocked the pickup, hopped in, inserted the key and it would. not. turn. I took the key out, flipped it over and tried again. Nothing. I tried a different key. Nope. Still a different key. Nope. I started over the second key worked this time.

At home I race in, grab my wallet and rush back to the store. By this time it's starting to snow. Once at the store I pay for my groceries and head back home.

Only this time the pickup won't unlock. I go through the same three keys. Of course this time it was the third key.

I love big noisy pickups, just not their keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment